The Thomas Crew

The Thomas Crew

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Gavin's Fight

People ask me all the time how this dear little boy survived for so long in an orphanage. You see Gavin was very sick when he first came home. I contemplated many times taking him to the hospital while we were in Bulgaria. All I kept praying was that we would make it home! Our first Red flag came as we were about to pull away from the orphanage. The director came out and said "Go straight to the store and buy water bottles"??? We just assumed he must like water. Yep, he sure did. He drank about 16oz every 30 minutes. Big Problem!  When we arrived at our first location which was for his medical exam I took him into the bathroom and found that he had 3 diapers on, Yes 3 that were soaking wet. This was also the first time I had even seen the catheter device he had out of his abdomen. I remember the moment pretty vividly. There I sat in a small bathroom stale with my new Son and I had no idea what I was doing. Yes I am a Nurse but I still had never dealt with this kind of catheter, water and diaper situation before let alone in a small bathroom stall with no place to lie him down. We dealt with the diaper, catheter, water situation for a few months once he got home. It was actually pretty horrible. When Gavin was diagnosis with Nephrogenic Diabetes Insipidus a rare disorder of the kidney it all made sense. This makes Gavin's renal failure twice as complicated. So how did Gavin survive for 6 years in an orphanage? All I can say is God had a strong grasp on his dear Son. He knew we were coming.

Tonight as I was preparing his mediation, feeding pump, injection and catheter I am reminded that God is still fully in control. All we have to do is Trust!!

Psalm 18:2 “The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.”


No comments:

Post a Comment